Groovin ' the Moo Revoo
Groovin’ the Moo prides
itself on being a regional festival that gives small towns all around Australia
a fair go. It’s a great way to bring thriving business into Bendigo, with
Airbnb’s and surrounding camping grounds absolutely chockas. Banners advertising
GTM flap around in anticipation weeks before the event as the town gears up for
a big weekend. It proves to be huge, as local pizza places were forced to leave
their phones off the hook in response to the tidal wave of orders they received
the Friday night before.
People come from far and
wide to celebrate a Victorian festival, for once, not being in Melbourne. The
irony of the situation is a large percentage of punters are actually from
Melbourne. This becomes evident as I drive my tiny red car through the convoy
of party buses down the Calder Fwy. Their engines run on pure excitement for
the day ahead, the occupants obviously ecstatic that they’re allowed to stand
up while the bus is moovin’. What a wild ride!
The people smart enough
to arrive before 1pm experienced a smooth and painless entry into the festival.
Yet, arriving just after the gates open is always the tiniest bit bleak. The
bands unlucky enough to be put super early on the bill play to a crowd the same
size of the line for a souvlaki at 4pm. This didn’t get in the way of a
magnetic set by Slum Sociable though; Miller Upchurch’s vocals soar over the
hum of the arrival of the crowds, drawing them in closer.
It was a sluggish wait
for the first round of drinks as we waited patiently in line. After a while, I
realise we aren’t moving anywhere because people tend to let themselves into
the cue where ever they felt like it, not necessarily in order of arrival. Disappointingly,
it appears that festival etiquette is not high on the menu for some. But this
wait did allow for some magnificent people watching time, as I counted 4 Native
American headdresses in total.
I scoped out the general
festival layout that is essentially the same as the previous years I have
attended GTM. The Plot stage was secluded from the rest of the festival and
indoor. The stage was cornered off with a marque that was decorated with some
vines on the roof, which gave it the feel of a rich person’s 21st
birthday party. With a multitude of DJ’s spinnin’ decks throughout the whole
day, partygoers can easily get stuck at the Plot Stage for hours. Unfortunately for underage punters, the Plot
stage is hidden deep within the over 18’s section. So you can imagine my
surprise when two young children who were definitely under the age of 11 join
me on the dance floor. I think their dad
was escorting them around; either that or they were just two very tiny dancers
about to cut some sick shapes.
There was a bit of a set
mess around after Tash Sultana’s cancellation, with Amy Shark having to change
to the Cattleyard Stage. With the switch, I managed to see the last of Alex
Lahey’s set with “You Don’t Think You Like People Like Me,” which is an
incredibly catchy song to go out on, so much so that I found myself singing it throughout
the day.
People hid under
umbrellas as the sun peaked the day’s temperature. I began to regret my
abundance of jackets and scarves, I had learned the hard way in the year’s
prior that the weather at GTM can be very unforgiving as soon as the sun goes
down. Yet, many welcomed the warmth as they were dressed in outfits that were
appropriate for a festival in the January heat. I shook my head at them like an
old grandma disapproving of her grandchildren’s style.
The sunshine added to an
overall frolicsome atmosphere. It’s early in the day, everyone’s in a good mood
and ready to see some kickass performances from their favourite bands. Girls
are screaming and hugging their friends like they’re soldiers that have just
returned from war, there’s a guy in a Hawaiian shirt passed out on the ground
already. Feels like Groovin’
Northeast Party House
burst onto the Moolin Rouge stage with “Heartbreaker.” I begin uncontrollably
bopping in excitement. This marks my first dance session, which I will continue
for the next 8 hours. Northeast Party House performs an outrageously fun set
that had everyone in motion. The lead singer Zac calls upon everyone who has a
girlfriend or a boyfriend and or is single to raise their hand as he announces
“This ones For You” and everyone goes nutzo. It’s a real feel good song, and as
most popular single of their most recent album “Dare,” it’s the tune that gets
the crowd going. With the added effect of the confetti cannons, it was
virtually impossible to wipe the smile off my face.
Architects were to
follow with a total change of pace. I’m not sure what percentage of the crowd
was aware that they were about to get amongst a metal band. It definitely
smacked them straight in the face with a roar from the vocalist, flashing
strobe lights and the intense strumming of electric guitars. I fancied myself
more of a chilled vibe, so I stomped my little gumboots back over to the Plot
stage…. which was equally just as hectic.
Kinder dropped a remix
of Drinkee by Sofi Tukker and I just really was not prepared for these sort of
earth shattering bangers at 2 o’clock in the afternoon. The mood was
encapsulated perfectly by a guy throwing an invisible fishing line into the
crowd and struggling to reel the catch back in, he yells “What a massive TUNA!”
which just spoke to me on many levels. But yeah, if you haven’t seen them, keep
an eye out for Kinder, the effervescent sister act from Sydney.
The Plot fills up with
an influx of new spectators who, I realise, are just trying to escape the rain.
During a quick rain interval, I decide to brave the toilet line. Toilets are
usually a point of contention between organisers and punters; the problem being
there is never enough. After waiting 40 minutes, I was finally free. The good
thing about Groovin’ is the intimacy of the festival grounds allows optimal
artist viewing. I attempted to make my way over to the Moolin Rouge stage again
but trying to walk against the current of the people entering the over 18’s
section is nearly impossible, I felt like Simba when he falls into the
wilderbeest stampede in the Lion King.
I arrived just in time
to catch the end of Slumberjack who delivered a trap shakedown then peaking
with an old favourite; the Weeknd’s ‘The Hills.’
Next up was Loyle
Carner, who was super impressive. Especially with his injection into the music
scene, he's only just released his first album and he's already touring in
Australia. Disappointingly, the crowd sort of thinned out at the beginning of
his set. I think he just isn’t well known enough yet, but he was able to
capture the crowd’s attention and keep the hype even though his tunes are quite
relaxed.
Around this time, we
were treated to a pink cloud display as the sun began to set. A lot of Violent
Soho merch started popping up through the crowd as the temperature dropped down
to 6°C and they were the only band selling jumpers.
Another good way to warm
up is to dance your butt off, which is what I did during George Maple’s explosive
set. I could see how much fun she was having as she flung her silver coat
around viciously to her opening track “Sticks and Stones.” Her set was
definitely a highlight for me. Unfortunately, she was competing with the
headliners on the other stage, as was Hayden James and Dillon Francis. I’ve
always flocked more to the electronic/dance vibe so I was having fun using up
as much space as I could anyway.
Dillon Francis was an
unlimited danceathon and a satisfying way to polish off a long day. The Moolin
Rouge tent was packed to capacity for the last 25 minutes of the festival after
Violent Soho finished. There was a real community vibe pulsating from the crowd
towards the end. Dillon Francis was a climactic crescendo to a tremendous
festival experience.
On the drive home, I
passed many of the same party buses I had seen before. Inside, exhausted
punters appreciate the warmth of the heater and lay sprawled out over the
seats. As I reflect on the day, I realised that what struck me most was the friendly
energy shared between artists, friends and strangers alike. It’s that welcoming
atmosphere that will draw me back for GTM 2018.
A review of Groovin' The Moo Festival Bendigo 2017 for SYN
No comments:
Post a Comment